What is Tangra Style?
Although chili chicken is one of the first Chinese dishes to hit the Indian shores, it has since then been modified. The earliest settlers from Tibet first settled in Kolkata. These first settlers escaping from the Chinese socialist forces brought with them their cuisine. Here the food was mixed with spices of our country to become the Tangra Chinese cuisine. This new cuisine is a far cry from the subtle tastes of the East. The new Tangra cuisine is spicy, sweet and sour all at the same time. The recipe follows below.
1 tsp salt
4 tsp red chilly sauce
2 -3 tsp cornflour
1 tblsp soy sauce
2 tblsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tblsp oil
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 big onion sliced long
1/2 cup capsicum (cut into big cubes)
1 -2 green chillies
Green corainder and green onion for garnish
Oil for frying
- Marinate the chicken pieces in 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp red chilly sauce and 2 -3 tsp cornflour. Mix well and keep for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Fry the chicken in the oil
- In a bowl mix 2 tsp red chilly sauce, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and white vinegar. Keep aside for later use.
- In a separate pan heat 2 tblsp oil and add garlic and ginger paste. Fry till golden color and then add sliced big onion and capsicum cubes and slit green chillies. Stir fry on high flame for 2 -3 minutes.Do not over cook the vegetables. The vegetables should be crunchy.
- Now lower the flame and add the sauce mixture and 1/4 cup of water.
- When slightly thick and dry, shut the flame and move it in a serving platter.
- Serve hot.
Meatigo’s products gives our Tangra Chili Chicken exactly the fresh flavours it needs. This post is in association with Food Bloggers Council of India
New Delhi on October 23, 2016 witnessed one of the biggest oats recipe contests in India. “ Quaker Bring Your Tastiest Bowl”, concluded in grand style with the winner taking home Rs.50 lakh. 14 of India’s aspiring chefs from across the country showcased their culinary prowess, creating popular dishes with oats. Celebrity Chef Vikas Khanna curated the finale and judged the winner of the best recipe created with ‘Ek Muthi Quaker’ oats. Chef Vikas Khanna, the Nutrition Brand Ambassador was overwhelmed by the innovative recipes that were received in the contest. He found the competition extremely tough and the contestants rose to the challenges that were set for them.
Congratulating the winner and all those who made it to the finale, he said that this has been an amazing platform to bring out all the brilliant closet chefs who are cooking at home for their family or loved ones and love to experiment with ways to make their cooking healthier.
Chef Vikas Khanna gave the 14 finalists a surprise bowl of ingredients and 30 minutes to prepare their tastiest bowls. Of the 14, Chef Vikas Khanna selected the top three dishes that took the contestants to the final round. Putting their culinary skills through a tougher test, he then gave the contestants some complex, must-use ingredients to prepare their final dish.
The recipes that earned the 14 finalists a place in the finale included: Thai style Sticky Oats with Mango, Indo-Burmese Oats Chaat, Spicy Pep Pop Oats Chaat, Oats Mushroom Sukka, Healthy Quaker Oats Chaat with Nuts, Chocolaty Oats, Oats Carrot Dates Raisin Ice Pops, Konkani Jackfruit Oats Payasu, Hyderabadi Biryani, Quaker Oats Beet-Carrot Modak, Mango Oats Vegan Smoothie Bowl, and Oats Paal Poli. Quaker is the world’s #1 oats brand. “Ek Muthi” Quaker Oats is equated to approximately 16 gm, that is, one-third of a person’s daily wholegrain requirement. Quaker Oats have Beta Glucon Fibre that helps reduce Cholesterol. Additionally, they are high on energy, protein and carbohydrates which are extremely important.
Overall it was a fun afternoon, it was surprising to see so much of innovation with the use of the Oats. I have uploaded few of my favorite recipes, if you want any other mentioned dishes recipe, feel free to write in the comment section and I’ll surely give you!
I personally love the festival of Karwachauth. It is our own desi version of “Valentine’s Day” and another day dedicated to love. As the tradition goes, Karwachauth is a day on which married women fast the whole day without food and water for the long life of their husbands. Only on the arrival of the moon, the fast is broken. In return the husbands generally give some gifts to their wife. So here are my top 5 ideas to make it really special for the ladies this karwachauth (after all they deserve it <3).
1. Home cooked dinner for two– Now nothing is more romantic than being fed by the man you have been fasting for and it’s even sweeter if it’s cooked by the man you have been fasting for. Now this idea is only reserved for those who can COOK. If you can’t cook, PLEASE ABORT THE MISSION NOW. Trust me after fasting the whole day, the last thing you want is burnt or non-tasty food (:p) So for your own long life, make sure you only execute this idea if you know how to cook. Else you could always order in food and have a candle lit dinner with some rose petals etc to add on to the ambience.
2. Customised Gifts– Customised gifting is becoming a huge trend now, nothing says that you care more than a customized gift. Picture frames are a passé, the newest way to make her feel extra special and pampered is customized gifts. From lamps to scrapbooks to newspapers, you can get everything and anything customized. Get hold of your wedding album or honeymoon pictures and get goodies customized for her. To get more customized gift ideas, click here.
Vintage– Vintage is back in fashion (actually it never went out). And if your lady is fond of home accessories (most ladies are, this is a safe bet :p), then vintage home accessory is your thing. I personally quiet liked Kulture Label range of products, they were super affordable and really classy-chic. You can check out their complete collection here.
Decorate the room– This idea is actually for hopeless romantics. You could actually hire the professionals to do it or you could actually take the pains of doing it yourself. I have attached few pictures to get an idea on how you could surprise her, else you can always get in touch with Extra’s-Invite’s ‘n’ more, they help in providing room decorating elements.
Clothes– All girls loves clothes, it is the safest bet. The downside of this is 1. Who would go to a shop to buy it? 2. What if the size does not fit? 3. What is she doesn’t like it? 4. If I order online, what if the quality is not good? Well to answer it all, I have personally tried Eves- Pret-a-Porter products and I am a happy customer. They cater to big sizes as well and I have gifted clothes from here to couple of my friends, they have been super happy with fits and quality, so this one is a safe bet. You can check out their collection here.
These are my top picks for Karwachauth gifting. If there are more ideas that you have in your mind, feel free to share with us in the comment section. If you are planning a gift and you are not sure about it & would want a girl perspective on it, feel free to ask, would love to help! J
Le Creuset is probably the most well-known name in the world of cast iron cookware. With a plethora of checkpoints to make the best products available to you, Le Creuset makes cooking easier and tastier for you. We used the cast iron wok to make Spanish fried rice and absolutely loved it. Let’s check out the recipe first.
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 cups cooked rice, cooked without salt, or fat
1/8 teaspoon saffron powder
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
3-4 basil leaves torned
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash ground red pepper
½ cup tomatoes, skinned & pulp removed, and chopped
- Cook rice with saffron and keep aside.
- Heat olive oil in wok. Add onion, celery and bell pepper; stir-fry 2 minutes or until tender. Add tomato sauce and spices; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add rice to the wok and stir-fry until thoroughly heated.
- Serves 2
How Le Creuset’s wok helped us with the recipe?
The cast iron nature of the wok gives it a very even heat distribution and the frying is super quick.
Due to the structure of the wok, it uses a lot less oil to cook things up.
Do remember, it’s a cast iron product. So you won’t be able to bounce it around much. Do try stirring continuously so that nothing sticks to the bottom.
The base is flattened from beneath while the interior stays rounded giving you stability.
Although cast iron products usually require seasoning with some oil and being heated, this works instantaneously.
Le Creuset offers lifetime warranty on the product.
You can check out the Wok here. Do let us know about your experience with Le Creuset products in the comments below.